The control panel is in the top left corner of the screen.
The zoom buttons are in the top right corner.
Here you can:
- Zoom the map in and out (plus and minus buttons).
- Find airports by their
- 3 or 4-letter code (BFI or KBFI)
- name (Paine Field)
- nearby city (Bremerton)
- state (CA)
- a combination of the above (Monroe WA).
- Select the map type from the pull-down menu.
- Access the "Help" and "About" pages.
For zooming, you can also use the scrollwheel of your mouse or, in case
of iPhone and iPod, pinch-to-zoom gestures.
There are five types of FAA charts in the pull-down menu.
- Hybrid VFR is an amalgamation of
available VFR charts, with more detailed charts shown at higher zoom levels.
For example, as you zoom into an area, you may first see the Wall Planning Chart, then the sectional,
and finally the Terminal Area Chart.
- Helicopter VFR charts combine sectionals and TACs with helicopter overlays where available
(e.g. New York City).
- Sectionals are the standard sectional charts.
- The Low IFR
type combines IFR Enroute Low Altitude Charts with IFR Area Charts.
- High IFR stands for IFR Enroute High Altitude Charts.
When you zoom in too far, you may see blank tiles with a small gray
cross in the middle. These tiles identify areas for which no data is
available at the current zoom level.
Airport / Facility Directory
At higher zoom levels, you will see small blue dots overlying many
airports. These are airport markers. When you click or tap on a marker,
you will see the Airport / Facility Directory listing for the
corresponding airport, as illustrated below:
Click or tap anywhere on the listing to close it.
The Airport / Facility Directory can also be accessed using